The history of La Posada Hotel is inseparable from the History of Laredo. The hotel, which has long been the cultural and social center of social life in the city, sits on the banks of the Rio Grande with spectacular views of Mexico.
The historical, luxury boutique hotel is built around four historical buildings The old Casa Consistorial, the municipal building that also housed a jail, used to stand where La Posada is now.
In 1886 it was converted into the old Laredo High School until 1916 when it was torn down and a new school erected. It is there that Laredo’s youth attended classes until 1937 when Martin High School was opened. The old Laredo High School today is the main entrance to the hotel, and houses the Front Desk and Lobby, the Zaragoza Grill, meeting rooms, the Phillip V Ballroom, The Tesoro Club and the hotel’s administrative offices.
Our ballrooms are located in what was once a 19th-century convent. The Capitol of the Republic of the Rio Grande dates back to the 1830’s and now houses a museum on the hotel grounds. The famous Tack Room Steak House is located in the elegant Bruni Home, which also dates from the 1800’s.
• In addition, the property includes two museums, The Republic of the Rio Grande Museum and the WBCA Museum, approximately 15,000 square feet of meeting space, three restaurants with bars, two swimming pools, one heated and one with a swim up bar, covered and secured parking and two tropical courtyards with shaded and secluded areas to relax and enjoy of the magic of La Posada.
• La Posada hotel has 206 guest rooms, and due to the diverse origin of the four different historic buildings there is a variety of rooms. You can choose from scenic rooms, to rooms that open out onto one of the lush courtyards. The suites are spacious, and are in various locations, from our Junior and Executive Suites, to the Vice Presidential and Presidential Suites.
• Throughout the hotel's history, it has played host to notable public figures, including the Dalai Lama, Bill and Hillary Clinton, George W. Bush, and Ted Kennedy, as well as actors like Kirk Douglas and Jack Nicholson. Singers Ricky Martin, Rihanna, and the bandAerosmith have also stayed at La Posada.
The hotel's symbol - a Spanish doubloon that bears the image of King Philip V - represents security, trust, beauty, and value - ideals that the hotel management strives to uphold. An image of the coin is seen as an inlaid image in the Italian marble floor in the hotel's lobby.
La Posada Hotel takes seriously its role as a corporate citizen of Laredo, sponsoring various historic community events, including WBCA festivities. It is the official hotel sponsor of Jamboozie and is also the host of the 16 de Septiembre Celebration organized by the Mexican Consulate. The Fasken Family's Prairie Foundation annually makes generous awards to Laredo non-profits.
• A WOMAN WHO MEANS BUSINESS:
Barbara Fasken an adventurous woman, an aviator with a love for flying, who established herself as a beacon of philanthropy and a symbol of heroism. We honor her and her accomplishments.
In 1994, Barbara Fasken purchased La Posada from the Herring family whose 1961. "The Faskens appreciated history," 1961. "The Faskens appreciated history," said Tim Herring, the son of the hotel's founder. "My father always hoped that La Posada would be the cornerstone of hospitality in Laredo," said Herring.
Fasken, a member of the WWII female civilian Air Corps, continued to pilot airplanes through her late years. She was known for her love of Laredo and wanted a piece of Mexico on this side of the border, according to Jesus Najar, South Texas Community Outreach Coordinator for the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Hospitality meets history at La Posada Hotel, allowing countless guests over five decades to experience the rich history of Laredo. Renowned for the quality of its service and five-star accommodations, across from San Agustin Plaza, the historic La Posada Hotel holds its rightful place as Laredo's premier hostelry. Barbara would surely approve.
historical sketch of the san agustin plaza section of laredo
The old town of Laredo was founded by Don Tomas Sanchez on May 15, 1755, and is now occupied by La Posada. The Plaza across the street is of historical interest, since it is the original site of the Villa de San Agustin de Laredo, later shortened to "San Agustin Plaza," then to "Laredo." Theres is an old bell in the tower of The San Agustin Church that dates...More
The old town of Laredo was founded by Don Tomas Sanchez on May 15, 1755, and is now occupied by La Posada. The Plaza across the street is of historical interest, since it is the original site of the Villa de San Agustin de Laredo, later shortened to "San Agustin Plaza," then to "Laredo." Theres is an old bell in the tower of The San Agustin Church that dates back to 1700's.
In 1790 the Plaza was attacked by hostile Lipan Indians, and during a brief period of occupation, was the scene of an indian war dance. During this period of Laredo's history, the town was populated by 700 citizens, 100 indians and a troop of Spanish Soldiers.
then to "Laredo"Less